Area Info on places to see and things to do during your stay as you explore the beauty of our area. Piedmont and Clendening Lakes are just one-two minutes from our cabin door. Additional fun places from zip line tours to wineries to sight seeing abound within a short drive of 15-30 minutes. Below you will find some information to help you seek out some of the rich history, scenic byways and quaint towns like Cadiz and Barnesville which are nearby. Calendar of events is provided on the web site of the Cadiz/Harrison County Visitors Center which is listed below.
Below is a listing of some of the recreational possibilities available in Harrison County followed by some links to more information.
- 110 miles of public trails/bike routes
- 11.4 mile rail trail
- Hiking trails in Tappan Lake Park and Harrison State Forest
- ODOT designated on road bicycle route
- 4,200 acres of public lakes
- Public beach
- Seven public boat launch ramps
- 20,000 acres of public hunting land
- 4,500+ white tail deer harvested annually
- 500 wild turkeys harvested annually
- Home of Ohio state record muskellunge
- Home of Ohio state record flathead catfish
- Two full service marinas
- Faith Ranch (4,000 acre equestrian center)
Recreational opportunities abound in Harrison County, Ohio. Whether you hike, bike, boat, fish, hunt, swim, camp, water ski, or ride horses, this is the place for you…and all within a two hour drive of Columbus, Cleveland or Pittsburgh!
Harrison County is home to three of the ten lakes operated by the Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District (“MWCD”). MWCD is the largest conservancy district in the state of Ohio, serving 18 counties and more than 20 percent of the surface area of the state. The lakes operated by MWCD are the impoundments contained behind dams built for flood control purposes in the 1930s and currently operated by the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Tappan Lake, Clendening Lake, and a portion of Piedmont Lake are located in Harrison County. Collectively these lakes provide more than 4,200 acres of public recreational water in the county.
Commercial grape production and the development of wineries are fairly new to Harrison County. Vineyard 22 Winery, which is located just outside Cadiz is a short and scenic drive from our cabin . “Adventure Creek” offers zip line tours near Possum Lodge. “Boss Bison Ranch” is a fun experience for the entire family near Possum Lodge.
- Boss Bison Ranch
- Adventure Creek Zip Line Tours
- Tappan-Moravian Trail Ohio Scenic Byway
- Harrison County Conotton Creek Trail
- Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District
- Buckeye Trail/Bowerston Section
- ODOT of Transportation Bicycle Route Map
- Bluegrass in the Hills
- North Country Scenic Trail
- Faith Ranch
- Jamboree in the Hills
- Dickinson Cattle Co
- Vineyard 22 Winery
- Black Sheep Vineyard